Beth Smith - could...won't...but will

How am I to wish you a Happy Birthday? I’ve thought about this and was told that I could give you advice, or share a recipe, or a memory…and believe it or not, I came up with a lot of reasons I won’t do any of those. This won’t be the traditional Happy Birthday mush, as I gather from what I know of you that you aren’t necessarily always into the “traditional”. (Hence the birthday tattoo forthcoming, eh?)

I thought that I could wax poetically about great works of literature that I have read and that I thought you would enjoy. But I won’t, because you are the literary guru and enjoy a good read. Anything I have to recommend is probably on your conquered list.

I thought I could share a great vegetarian recipe, but won’t because I’m not vegetarian/flexitarian (although I do enjoy veggies and fruit over meat any day!). I also won’t attempt that because you are the queen of nutritious and healthy breakthroughs!

I thought I could share a memory; but won’t because all my memories are with your fabulous husband, and not with you (although I am convinced that there are some awaiting us in the future!).

I thought I could share mommy advice. Won’t. Yeah, I’m a mom of two as well, but from what I hear, you’ve got your Mommy-of-the-year-award racked up for the next 10 years. Yup, you’re just that fantastic!

I thought I could give spiritual insight. Nope, won’t do that. I think you’ve got your bases covered on striving for the prize and surround yourself with others that urge you on to that goal. Now, that’s worthy of praise! (Oh, btw, from what’s written above, it sounds like you are on your way to the Proverbs 31 wife as well!) ;o)

So, what does that leave me? It leaves me with something that I know, that you know I know, that I know you will love. Got that? Enjoy some great words, from some of my favorite peeps – and HAPPY THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY! Love - Beth (for all the Smiths)

"Literature is a textually transmitted disease, normally contracted in childhood."
Jane Yolen

“I will not play tug o' war. I’d rather play hug o' war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs, Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug, Where everyone kisses, and everyone grins, and everyone cuddles, and everyone wins.”
Shel Silverstein

Life is like a pudding; it takes both salt and sugar to make a really good one.
Joan Blos, Gathering of Days

"Today was a difficult day. Tomorrow will be better"
Kevin Hehnkes, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse

Underneath that great big sky
the earth is all a-spin.
This day will soon be over
and it won’t come back again.
So live it well, make it count,
fill it up with you.
The day’s all yours, it’s waiting now . . .
See what you can do.
Cynthia Rylant, All in a Day

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

Ginger said...

Love, love, love those quotes Beth. Especially the Kevin Henkes' one. I never thought of pulling out that line to apply to me, but wow that's a great reminder! Thanks for introducing us to so many great children's authors. Bauer and Cash don't know they'll owe their love of books partially to you, but I'm glad they will. You've been a good friend these last couple of years, always patiently answering my questions, mostly having to do with books (thank you, thank you!) - I love that teacher in you! And I too hope we'll have some memories of our own one day. Last but not least, I find it tres cool that Bauer and Anna share the same birthday.

Post a Comment